As we’re approaching 2019, now is the time to take a closer look at your life and begin preparing for the new year. Although you can do these things at any point, the new year is always a great motivator for a fresh start. Here are five simple tips on how to start 2019 the right way:
Taking some time to reflect on 2018’s highs and lows is the perfect way to figure out what worked and didn’t work for you. Perhaps, you could jot down some things you might approach differently in the upcoming year. That way, you can ensure you make better, proactive choices in 2019. Everyone’s yearly reviews will look different, but a few key questions worth asking yourself are:
- What did I accomplish this year?
- In what ways did I grow this year?
- What was my mindset like this year?
- What stressed me out this year?
- Are there any relationships I need to improve? (or let go of?)
- Did I reach the goals I set for myself?
Getting rid of all of the things you don’t need will help you start the year off feeling fresh, clear and focused. Declutter your wardrobe and get rid of items in your home that you don’t use or enjoy anymore. You could sell some of your stuff online or donate it to your local charity.
Decluttering doesn’t just have to be about physical items. It’s a good idea to have a look through the social media accounts you’re following. Give yourself permission to unfollow any accounts that make you feel bad or no longer bring you joy. It’s very important to be intentional about the content you consume.
Think about any personal projects that you want to work on in the coming year and begin planning out your strategy. Perhaps you’re going to finally write that book you’ve always had in your head, or maybe you want to start a blog. Make sure you are clear on exactly what you need to do so you can get a head start and hit the ground running.
4. Set Goals
Setting yourself goals is amazing – it’s always a good idea to want to better yourself and strive for something. However, it’s important to create goals you’ll actually be able to achieve. To do this, I recommend:
- Writing your goals down. This is the first step to committing to achieving them and will help make them become a reality. Place them somewhere you’ll be able to see them often.
- Make your goals specific. Unclear or vague goals will get you nowhere. Instead of making a goal like “I want to get healthier in 2019,” instead you could say, “I want to work out three times a week in 2019.” That way, it will allow you to better assess how well you are progressing.
- Be Realistic. If you make a goal that is totally out of reach, then you will lose motivation as soon as you realise you won’t achieve it.
- Review your goals periodically. To track your progress, make sure to review your goals often. You could check in on them monthly. By doing this, you’ll be able to tell whether you are behind on a goal, or if you need to make any changes in order to achieve it.
Many people choose to think of a focus word for the new year. Maybe you’re planning to focus on your “health” in 2019. Or, perhaps you want to focus on “family.” 2018 has been an exciting year for me, especially the latter half of the year with my recent marriage and move abroad. I’ve experienced lots of new things, so my focus word is “growth” as I want to continue growing outside of my comfort zone. Find a focus word that sums up what you want to achieve in 2019.
So those are some tips on how to start 2019 the right way. Are you ready for the new year? Let me know what you’re doing to prepare. Wishing you a new year filled with success, joy and happiness!