Fully accepting and embracing ourselves, flaws and all, can be incredibly difficult. It can take a lot of time and patience, but the practise of self-love is so important. Loving yourself is essential for happiness and can completely change your outlook on life. What’s more, self-love lays the foundation for how we love others, and how we let them treat us in return.
As words are very powerful, quotes are an effective tool that can encourage you to practise self-love. So, I’ve compiled a list of inspiring self-love quotes for whenever you need a little self-esteem boost. I hope they inspire and motivate you as much as they did for me.
1. “Just be yourself. Let people see the real, imperfect, flawed, quirky, weird, beautiful and magical person that you are.” — Unknown
2. “It’s not selfish to love yourself, take care of yourself, and to make your happiness a priority. It’s necessary.” — Mandy Hale
3. “When I loved myself enough, I began leaving whatever wasn’t healthy. This meant people, jobs, my own beliefs and habits – anything that kept me small. My judgement called it disloyal. Now I see it as self-loving.” — Kim McMillen
4. “People often say that ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder,’ and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realising that you are the beholder. This empowers us to find beauty in places where others have not dared to look including inside ourselves.” — Salma Hayek
5. “Real beauty isn’t about symmetry or weight or makeup; it’s about looking life right in the face and seeing all its magnificence reflected in your own.” — Valerie Monroe
6. “To accept ourselves as we are means to value our imperfections as much as our perfections.” — Sandra Bierig
7. “Self-compassion is simply giving the same kindness to ourselves that we would give to others.” — Christopher Germer
8. “I must undertake to love myself and to respect myself as though my very life depends upon self-love and self-respect.” – Maya Angelou
9. “You’re always with yourself, so you might as well enjoy the company.” — Diane Von Furstenberg
10. “Loving yourself…does not mean being self-absorbed or narcissistic, or disregarding others. Rather it means welcoming yourself as the most honoured guest in your own heart, a guest worthy of respect, a lovable companion.” — Margot Anand
11. “And I said to my body, softly, ‘I want to be your friend.’ It took a long breath, and replied ‘I have been waiting my whole life for this.'” — Nayyirah Waheed
12. “In a society that profits from your self-doubt, liking yourself is a rebellious act.” — Unknown
13. “Nourishing yourself in a way that helps you blossom in the direction you want to go is attainable, and you are worth the effort.” — Deborah Day
14. “Self-love has very little to do with how you feel about your outer self. It’s about accepting all of yourself.” — Tyra Banks
15. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” — Lucille Ball
16. “To fall in love with yourself is the first secret to happiness.” — Robert Morely
17. “Be gentle with yourself, learn to love yourself, to forgive yourself, for only as we have the right attitude toward ourselves can we have the right attitude toward others.” — Wilfred Peterson
18. “You must love yourself before you love another. By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy.” — Unknown
19. “When nobody celebrates you, learn to celebrate yourself. When nobody compliments you, then compliment yourself. It’s not up to other people to keep you encouraged. It’s up to you. Encouragement should come from the inside.” — Joel Osteen
20. “Self love is the source of all our other loves.” — Pierre Corneille
Which quote is your favourite? I’d love to know if you have any other inspiring self-love quotes to add.